For more information and updates on MassArt's response to the Coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic, please visit Please review the Technology department operations during Coronavirus-COVID-19 pandemic wiki article for information on access to Technology department facilities and services. Please submit technical issues and service requests to the help desk web customer portal, via email at, or via phone 617.879.7888.
Child pages
  • Eligibility Requirements
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

Version 1 Current »

As a participant in Financial Aid Title IV programs, MassArt must adhere to federal regulations and eligibility requirements. To be considered for federal, state, or institutional aid, a student must meet the following criteria:

Citizenship status
To be eligible for federal, state, or institutional aid, you must be 1 of the following:

  • A US citizen or national (including natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island)
  • A citizen of 1 of the Freely Associated States (the Federated States of Micronesia and the republics of Palau and the Marshall Islands)
  • US permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C Permanent Resident Card
  • A refugee
  • An individual who has been granted asylum
  • A Cuban-Haitian entrant
  • An individual who has been granted conditional entrance (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)

You are ineligible for federal student aid if any of the following apply:

  • You have a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence I-171 or I-464
  • You have an F-1 or F-2 visa
  • You have a J-1 or J-2 exchange visitor or type H visa

The following are acceptable types of documentation to verify your citizenship:

  • A copy of your birth certificate showing that you were born in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, the US Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swain's Island, or the Northern Mariana Islands
  • A current or expired US passport
  • A certificate of citizenship from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (N-560 or N-561) with the certificate number and date of issue
  • A certificate of naturalization from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (N-550 or N-570) with the certification number and date of issue
  • A copy of the following State Department documents: 
    • FS-240 Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the US
    • FS-545 Certificate of Birth-Foreign Service
    • DS-1350 Certificate of Birth


Social Security number

To be eligible for federal, state, or institutional aid, you must provide a valid Social Security number.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) verifies that the Social Security number you submitted is correct and corresponds with your given name and birth date. If the Social Security number does not match (that is, if the number is not found in the Social Security Administration's database), the FAFSA is rejected. The Student Aid Report that is generated by the FAFSA indicates the reason for rejection and the action you must take, as follows:

  • If the Social Security number has been reported incorrectly on the FAFSA, you must update the FAFSA with the  correct Social Security Number. This can be done online at
  • If your name and Social Security number match but the date of birth does not, you must make a correction on the paper Student Aid Report.
  • If the Social Security number exists in the database but there is a discrepancy regarding your name, you must make a correction on the paper Student Aid Report, or contact the Social Security Administration to correct your name in their database.


Default status

If you are in default on a federal student loan, you are ineligible for federal, state, and institutional funds. If you need more information about your defaulted loan, you may review your federal student loan history through the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). NSLDS is the US Department of Education's central database for federal student aid information. Once on the website, click on Loan Detail to access the name of the guaranty agency, lender, or servicer and their contact information to assist you in resolving your defaulted loan status.

NSLDS receives data from schools, guaranty agencies, the Federal Direct Loan program, the Pell Grant program, and other Department of Education programs. NSLDS Student Access provides a centralized, integrated view of federal loans and Pell Grants so that recipients of federal aid can access and inquire about their federal loans or Pell Grants.


Selective Service registration

Men aged 18 to 25 are required to register with the Selective Service System. This requirement covers men residing in the United States who are US citizens or noncitizens. Anyone who is required to register must do so to receive federal, state, or institutional aid. For information on who must register, see theSelective Service System's guidelines.

You may be exempt from Selective Service registration if:

  • You are currently in the armed services and on active duty*
  • You are not yet 18 at the time you complete your FAFSA
  • You were born before 1960
  • You are a citizen of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Republic of Palau

*If you are a member of the Reserves or National Guard but not on active duty, you must register.



  • No labels