- STEP 1: Receive I-20 with CPT endorsement on it
- STEP 2: Find your local Social Security Office
- enter your home address zip code into the Social Security Office Locator
- note their address, hours of operation and how to get there
- Note regarding COVID pandemic closures: As of April 7, 2022 Boston announced that all SSN offices are open for walk-ins.
- Appointments are no longer needed.
- No documents should be faxed or mailed to any office.
- STEP 3: Normally you need to apply less than 30 days prior to your CPT start date and also bring (or send):
- all of your I-20s (including any previously issued to you by other institutions or by MassArt)
- your passport (including current visa stamp) - *if sending DO NOT send original, only send a copy!
copy of your current electronic I-94: click link, and then click box that says "Get Most Recent I-94"
- The Social Security Administration has launched a new online portal. OSSNAP – Online Social Security Number Application Portalallows you to enter your personal information prior to your visit to the SSA, so that when you go to the office, the SSA representative will only need to verify your information and check your documents. We strongly encourage students to complete the online application prior to visiting the SSA office in person. It will save time and speed up the process for you.
STEP 4: Present your number to your employer
It is your responsibility to give the number to your employer as soon as you receive it in order to avoid any delays.