Do I need to do anything in order to receive my I-20?

*Yes! First, pay your deposit to secure your spot and then submit all required documents for the I-20 to be created.

How long will it take to receive my I-20?

In general, you will receive your I-20 within 2 weeks of the date that you submit all required documents.

What if I need my I-20 earlier because I am coming from a country that has slow US visa processing times?

If you would like to receive your I-20 as early as possible, we recommend the following:

Is there a deadline for submitting my documents for the I-20?

There is no formal deadline, but we cannot begin processing your I-20 until ALL of the following steps have happened:

*We strongly encourage you to complete all steps as early as possible to avoid unexpected delays!

How do I apply for an F-1 visa?

You should wait to receive your I-20 document and then you can make an appointment with the nearest US Consulate/Embassy. You also need to pay your SEVIS fee prior to the appointment. More info

I have a valid F-1 Visa but it was issued with the name of my current institution on it. In order to reenter the States, do I need to renew the F-1 Visa with MassArt on it?

No, but you must complete the SEVIS Transfer-In form (found in the Admissions portal).

I am an international student and want to apply for MassArt’s Low-Residency Program. Is this possible? 

Yes, but you are only allowed to remain in the US during the required residency portions of the program and you will need to apply for a new I-20 and visa each time you plan to enter the US.

Am I allowed to work while I am here as an F-1 student?

You can work “on-campus” up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. More info

What is “on-campus” work?

“On-campus” work means that you are being paid by MassArt, through MassArt’s payroll office (Grad assistant and TA positions are considered “on-campus” work).

Am I allowed to work or volunteer off-campus?

Only if you have received authorization for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) through your International Student Advisor. You must have been in F-1 status for 1 academic year in order to be eligible to apply for CPT or OPT.

Where can I ask questions about health insurance or immunizations?

Please refer to Health Insurance

What do I do with international immunization forms?

Immunization forms should be uploaded to MassArt’s portal (hosted by CastleBranch). More info

I want to waive my health insurance and I am an incoming international student.

Please refer to Health Insurance

Who can answer my questions about how and when to pay my MassArt bill?

Please contact the Student Billing Office.

Where can I learn more about Housing@MassArt?

Please refer to: Housing & Residence Life

  • No labels